Teacher Advisory Disclosure
Purpose: The purposes of the 35-minute Teacher Advisory (TA) period at OHMS are:
- To provide students with the opportunity to “connect” with an adult at OHMS; someone they can go to for assistance. TA teachers will be assigned by grade level. Specialty TA assignments can change year to year.
- To provide students’ academic support by attending Eagle Hour. Each department has one day a week that they can call students out of their regular TA to get additional help.
- To provide students’ academic support by conferencing with the TA students’ performance including behavior, student usage of skyward to check attendance, grades, and missing work, and other aspects of student performance.
- To provide students with time to work on assignments, homework, reading, and character education.
- To provide students with opportunities to achieve mastery through intervention in all subjects.
- To provide enrichment opportunities through Specialty TA’s. This will require additional expectations outside of the school day.
- To conduct school business such as reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, conducting morning announcements, and hosting assemblies.
- Grading: The TA period will be graded on a pass/fail basis. 70% or above will be a passing grade. Students will pass TA by their daily attendance and participation. All 9th grade students will receive a .25 elective high school graduation credit per semester for passing this class. A failing grade affects their GPA. A passing grade doesn't. "Non-attendance and/or non-participation may result in a failing grade, which is will be included in their accumulated GPA."
Attendance: Attendance will follow the Utah Compulsory Education Law.
Materials: Students are expected to be prepared for TA requirements.